“Lads, these lot are bottom of the league, they’re…. er … rubbish” can be heard countless times on a Saturday afternoon, and while the league doesn’t lie, it can sometimes fail to tell the whole truth.  Going into the game bottom of the league but with a number of games in hand, Tiffs were determined to get 3 points and move themselves into a more realistic position in the table.

In difficult conditions Tiffs started brightly and immediately started to take the game to Sedcopians and quickly found themselves in the lead as J. Perreira found himself unmarked at a corner to head the ball home.  Tiffs have lead the majority of their games this season but keep on letting their opponents back into the match, and today was no different.  After a few missed chances Tiffs were punished as a Sedcopians corner was turned in at the near post to level the scores.  However, the game never looked like a low scoring affair and almost straight from the restart Tiffs moved the ball up field switching the ball from left to right on the edge of the box before slipping in Z. Lewis to score his first of the game.  Sedcopians weren’t prepared to fold just yet though, and with the game becoming more end to end soon found themselves back on level terms.  A misjudged tackle was deemed to have been just inside the box and the resulting penalty was calmly put away.  With the half drawing to a close there was just enough time for both sides to hit the post before going in to the break at 2-2.

Wind assisted in the 2nd half Tiffs were convinced that the game was there for the taking and again started brightly.  Both teams were struggling with the conditions but midway through the 2nd half Tiffs scored a quick fire double to finally take control of the game.  The first came from some good work down the right, with the resulting throw in flicked on into the box for Z. Lewis to smartly swivel and fire the ball home.  Sedcopians pushed forward hoping for another equaliser but ended up being caught on the break.  The ball was won on the edge of the Tiffs box, and a fairly simple ball was chipped over the high defensive line for Z. Lewis to race onto and complete his hattrick.

Now with a two goal advantage Tiffs just needed to stay calm and see the game out, so they instead conceded almost straight away.  Failing to clear their lines when given the chance, they were punished as Sedcopians worked the ball nicely down the right and pulled the ball back to a waiting striker to smash home from a few yards out.

The final 15 minutes were spent with Tiffs defending their lead.  Whilst it was never quite backs against the wall, Sedcopians managed to force a smart save from the Tiffs keeper, but were mostly kept at arms length.  With just a few minutes to go Sedcopians were given a lifeline as a they were awarded their second penalty of the match.  The same player from the first penalty stepped up and tried to fire the ball into the same corner as last time, but instead pushed the found the ball whistling the wrong side of the post.  Just a minute later Tiffs sealed the points as S. Fernandes fired home after finding himself some room as Sedcopians poured forward looking for a point.

A hard fought 5-3 win and the first 3 points of the season for Tiffs.

Player of the Match brought to you by Movember

Zak Lewis