OTFC IVs vs Dorkinians V (H)

26th September 2015

OTFC IVs 2 - 2 Dorkinians V

OTFC IVs 2 – 2 Old Dorkinians Vs

Haynes (pen)

OTFC IVs show great character to get over last week’s heavy defeat to earn their first point since returning to the Amateur Football Combination.

On a sunny day at Grist’s, the IVs played some lovely football to draw but were denied a victory by a determined Dorkinian side through a couple of set-piece goals.

OTFC started the game brightly with Lamble and Martin getting a hold of the ball and pulling the strings in midfield with some neat passing. Tiffs were able to force some early corners but were unable to make their possession count.

Midway through the first half, the ball fell to Martin following some determined pressing from Meradji. At a fully 35 yards out, Martin spotted the Dorkinians keeper wandering to the edge of his 6-yard box and unleashed a pearler of a shot over the keeper’s head and dipping under the crossbar. 1-0 to Old Tiffs.

Tiffs took confidence from their goal and continued to play some enterprising football with Haynes making some dangerous runs up-front, and wingers Bhamra and Titcombe working hard to support. Before half-time came Tiffs had a further three good chances on goal but were unfortunately unable to convert, while Cotterell made a couple of fine saves to keep Dorkinians at bay.

Dorkinians enjoyed the better of a scrappy second half – taking the game to Tiffs and not allowing them time on the ball in midfield. Tiffs conceded early in disheartening fashion – a corner floated in over everyone’s heads and inside the far post. 1-1.

Tiffs came back strongly – forcing a corner, from which Newby was felled just inside the box by the opposition centre-half and skipper. A convincing Bambi impression resulted in the referee pointing straight to the spot. Haynes stepped up and duly smashed the ball straight down the middle. 2-1 Old Tiffs.

Again Tiffs had a chance to make to put daylight between them and the opposition. Lamble was unfortunate to miss out with a curling free-kick 25 yards out – the Dorkinians keeper making a fine save, just diverting the ball round the far post.

For a period Tiffs looked comfortable and assured, keeping their shape and organisation and restricting Dorkinians to speculative shots from outside the area. Alas, with 20 minutes to go Dorkinians were able to equalise – their big centre-half scoring a spectacular overhead kick from the penalty spot following the breakdown of a corner.

Dorkinians had the better of the final quarter of the game, as Tiffs tired, but still Tiffs battled to create a couple of chances in the last few minutes, Surendranathan spurning a gilt-edged chance with almost the last kick of the game.

Overall, probably a fair result with plenty of encouraging signs for the IVs early on in their comeback season.


Man of the Match: Steve Newby – assured in defence including a couple of crucial goal-line clearances, not to mention some balletic skill in winning a penalty.