Coming off the high of a win last week, the OTFC IV’s gathered at Grist’s for their first home game of 2020 with expectations of putting in another good performance.

The team’s high spirits managed to survive the pre-match pep talk from Bell (C), who ranted about all the reasons he wanted to beat Reigatians today.  Ignoring the ravings of an old man, everyone listened closely and then quietly got on with their pre-match warm up.

The game started slowly with a lot of cheap free kicks preventing either side finding any rhythm.  A suspiciously foul throw looking throw in from the left saw a Tiffs player get pushed in the back and free kick a dangerous position provided the first chance of the match.  A fine cross from Bishop saw Hills climb majestically at the back post and firm ly plant a header back past the keeper. 1-0 Tiffs.

Reigatians were then gifted the easiest of chances to equalise.  A mistake at the back left two Reigatian players racing through on goal unchallenged but somehow, they managed to fluff their lines and Tiffs escaped with their lead intact.

Tiffs were soon to extend their lead with a near identical goal to their first.  A free kick in a dangerous position on the left was whipped in by Bishop for Hills to tap in at the back post.

The 2nd half saw Reigatians come out fighting, putting Tiffs under pressure from the off.  Having weathered the storm for the opening 20 minutes Tiffs were able to get back on top and started searching for the killer 3rd goal, so inevitably ended up conceding.  Good work down the left saw a cross drilled in for the Reigatian striker to take a nice touch and finish calmly.

Reigatians again pushed for an equaliser so Tiffs found an innovative way to slow the game down.  A clash of heads for two Tiffs defenders, Vrabie and Newby, saw a short delay and both players needing to be substituted.  A quick shuffle of personnel at the back for Tiffs and the game was back underway, but Reigatians seemed worst affected by the delay and had lost their momentum.

Tiffs took advantage of this and sealed their 2nd straight win of 2020 when, with 5 minutes to play, Bishop took his time at the back post before neatly finishing into the far corner.

A thoroughly deserved victory for OTFC IV’s and, whisper it quietly, maybe the beginning of a winning streak.