In a gripping encounter that had all the drama of a season’s worth of football packed into 90 minutes, Old Tiffs showcased their resilience and tactical acumen to edge past London Welsh in a thrilling 3-2 victory. The pre-match narrative was dominated by the towering stature of the opposition but also Tom Scott’s outfit (ask him for more details).

The game began with Old Tiffs assertively taking the game to the ground, weaving intricate patterns and maintaining possession with an air of confidence. However, the script took an unexpected turn after Sammarco was pulled back in the area, leading to an opportunity for the men in purple to take the lead from 12 yards.

Their penalty opportunity was grasped with both hands by Matt Burns-Peake (with his fan club on the touchline), and his strike was reminiscent of Mesut Ozil’s infamous ‘double bounce’ technique, which didn’t quite work in a moment that oscillated between comedy and heartbreak. Despite dominating the play and crafting numerous chances, Old Tiffs found themselves trailing at the interval due to a lapse that allowed Welsh to snatch a lead.

Undeterred, Old Tiffs emerged in the second half with renewed vigor but found themselves thwarted by a combination of resolute defending and misfortune, until the narrative took a twist with the introduction of JJ11 after many months out with a series of barely believable, surely-made-up “injuries”. Making a heroic return, JJ11’s influence was immediate and decisive, levelling the score quickly with a firm finish from a clever cutbacks moments after coming on. Availability temporary, class very much permanent from the noodle-haired assassin, whose arrogant celebration spurred on the men in purple to truly #believe.

The momentum firmly shifted when Joe Sanmarco, epitomizing determination (and handbags), embarked on a surging run to meet a sublime cross from Aidan, guiding the ball home with a header that was as elegant as it was crucial. Yet, the drama was far from over as Jack’s indiscretion conceded a penalty, allowing London Welsh to restore parity in a moment that demonstrated that there was nothing wrong with the spot of that end of the pitch, and it was fine for taking penalties, contrary to the earlier Tiffs’ mishap.

As the clock ticked down, the stage was set for a grandstand finish, and it was Aidan, the 18-year-old birthday boy, who delivered a masterclass in precision with a pass that Tom Scott thundered home, securing a victory that was as dramatic as it was deserved.

The final whistle brought a mixture of relief and elation, with Old Tiffs not only securing a vital win but also reinforcing their promotion credentials, a testament to their indomitable spirit and tactical ingenuity. As they left Grists, they did so with the satisfaction of a job well done, their sights set firmly on the horizon and the challenges that lay ahead in their quest for promotion.