1st November 2014

Old Tiffinian IIs 2-4 Old Wokingians IV

Mackay-Thomas x 2

After a few disappointing results brought on by an unprecedented injury crisis there was cause for optimism for the IIs who this week arrived at Grist’s with a strong squad and the tasty prospect of post-match Dominos. In the absence of their regular skipper it was left to on-field captain Luke Peake and tracksuit manager Will Forsyth to organise the team and keep their minds focused on the 90 minutes ahead rather than the extravagant post-match catering.

In an attempt to rectify the mistakes of the previous week, the team utilised the majority of a high octane warm-up practising their defending of set pieces. By the time the referee arrived the team looked hungry (literally) and raring to go.

The game started at a frantic pace, Tiffs having the majority of possession but looking as shaky at the back as they did dangerous going forward. Woking spurned a golden chance to open the scoring after an uncharacteristic mistake from Peake in the heart of defence, but the away team’s striker saw his effort come back off the crossbar and the Tiffs defence cleared.

Moments later and the deadlock was broken. Some good interplay on the right wing resulting in Josh Thomas floating a deep cross towards the back post which eluded everyone including the Woking goalkeeper and nestled in the back of the net. 1-0 Tiffin.

What happened next summed up the last few weeks for OTFC IIs. Woking won a throw deep in the Tiffin half, hurled it into the middle, the defence failed to deal with it, and the ball ended up bobbling almost apologetically over the line.

Tiffs were clearly rattled, and despite playing the better football of the half they went in 2-1 down to another set piece – this time a free header from a corner that found the top corner of Cottee’s goal.

Einstein once said that doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insanity. Woking began the second half brightly, playing the ball wide and looking to win corners and throw-ins. Again and again Tiffs failed to win the first header and allowed Woking to score their third and fourth goals, from a combined distance of around 5 yards.

A hugely frustrating afternoon was summed-up late on as Tiffin showed themselves to be the better footballing side – Thommo scoring a neat finish after an excellent passing move – but Woking resisted a late barrage and left Tiffin mulling over what could have been if they could only defend a throw in or corner.

MOTM: Andy Dickenson