As Saturday morning dawned, many would be forgiven for expecting the game to be postponed given the carnage that occurred at Grists the week prior. However the boys in purple (or in this case orange) love nothing more than a mud bath of a pitch, I’d go as far as saying Jordan even seemed at home in the conditions.
After a vigorous warm up and some slippery corner practice, the game kicked off and the T’s allowed their opposition the lions share of possession in the opening 10 minutes. Unfortunately for the Old Sedcopians, their attempts at playing passing football through the clay-like mud brought about very little threat to Tom Whitwick’s goal, who himself was too busy daydreaming about the post-match showers to pay attention to any brewing attacks.
After a reasonably uneventful opening half hour, centre-half Jimmy Evans-Rong decided to spice the game up by temporarily playing for the opposite team, executing a pinpoint through ball to their striker who slotted past the man in green. It was a generous gift from the defender, clearly still in the Christmas spirit, however this did spark some life into the home side.
Slide tackles were flying in left, right and centre, until a poorly timed one from a Sedcopian defender resulted in a free kick on the edge of their penalty area. Eager to make up for his earlier mishap, Jimmy took ownership of the dead ball opportunity, curling a delightful effort towards the top corner only for the keeper to touch onto the crossbar, allowing the following in Matt Hucks to poke in and even up the scoreline.
Shortly after, a direct and purposeful run by the inspired Steve Leung took the oppo midfield out of the game before chipping a delightful pass to the earlier scorer who nonchalantly volleyed the ball over the keeper into the far corner.
Tiffs were in full flow by this point, and started the second half as they finished the first, with Tom Scott and Sandy both coming close, not to mention a missed hat trick opportunity from 3 yards for Hucks. The game became stretched and both teams had chances to score, with goal line clearances from Matt Hope and Steve Goodings keeping the T’s ahead. A calm and collected second half defensive performance from centre-back pairing Phews and Kieran ensured the home side walked away with the 3 points. A dogged display from the whole squad as they now make it 3 wins on the spin and remain unbeaten in 2018. Could this be our year?