OTFC IVs vs Old Meadonians IX

24th March 2018

OTFC IVs 2 - 1 Old Meadonians IX

OTFC IVs 2-1 Old Meadonians IX


With the rain having been keeping away for the majority of the week the fixture between OTFC 4s and Old Meads was given the go ahead, with Tiffs raring to go with a strong squad available.

On a day full of strange events, both ups and downs we all gathered outside, wishing Vice Skipper Conrad Bell a happy birthday on arrival before going in to the changing rooms.

Now, onto the game and OTFC started the better of the two teams trying to play some decent football in the process (sometimes too much) and camping Old Meads in their own half.

The first goal came after about 10 mins with an offside looking Zeki Akdeniz running onto a great ball that was chipped over the top of the Old Meads defence by Wesley Bishop. Zeki controlled the ball down, took 3 touches towards goal and brilliantly struck a left foot shot into the far corner. 1-0 Tiffs!!

Straight from the Old Meads centre and Tiffs were back at it, with Tom Flynn and James Khajenouri closing everything down in the middle of the park. The second OTFC goal came shortly after, a clearance from an Old Meads defender went straight to the head of James Khajenouri who’s bullet header across the box found Wesley Bishop, who ran on to smack a brilliant half volley past the helpless keeper. 2-0 Tiffs

OTFC looked to be going into the second half with a clean sheet but for a long ball to meet the head of the Old Meads striker which looped into the corner of the net, a goal against the run of play got the visitors back in the game.

Half time 2-1

Second half started how the first went but started to get scrappy. Tiffs goalkeeper Nader Meradji having hardly anything to do all game, was called into a few catches and comfortable saves but nothing too threatening as Tiffs went in search of a goal to put the game to bed. Zeki Akdeniz and Ahmed Alhelfi wasted chances which you would say should have been scored but as the clock ticked down the last bit of drama would unfold.

A scuffle in the Tiffs box between Tiffs skipper Charlie Hughes and an Old Meads player caused a team on team handbags resulting in the visitors player being sent off and Meads finished the game with 10 men.

The game ended 2-1 but with another strange incident happening in the last few minutes as an air ambulance circled the pitch a few times before landing less than 200 yards away next to the pitch, thankfully it was not for any of us.

All in all a good result against a team that we hadn’t beaten this season, and I’m sure everyone would agree it felt like a very nice 3 points.

Turn on, Tune in, Take Off!!!


MOTM: Tom Flynn