OTFC IIIs vs Old Meadonians VIIs (H)

20th October 2018

OTFC IIIs 0 - 2 Old Meadonians VIIs

More good football played but again Tiffs don’t get the deserved result.

Another sunny Saturday rolled around and the Tiffs third team had a second consecutive game at home, this week playing Old Meadonians’ 7th team. Thankfully this week wasn’t played in the midst of gale force winds. With a solid core forming up for the season well supplemented again this week by some classy players there was a good confidence going in to the game. This was further boosted by the goalkeeping debut of Harrison who stepped up to help out the team (rumours of only volunteering following an offer to avoid the match fee are scandalous).

The game kicked off and Tiffs immediately settled back in to the passing rhythm that they showed in the previous game with all of the back four comfortable bringing the ball out from the back, the midfield three moving the ball well and the front three linking up nicely. Even the makeshift goalkeeping situation looked like it might work out with Harrison coming out to claim a couple of early crosses in to the box. With Tiffs seemingly running the game it seemed like the time when that first win of the season was there for the taking.

But as with previous weeks despite periods of fine play T’s were hit with a sucker punch on the break. Old Meadonian’s worked some nice play down the Tiffs left before cutting the ball across the area to find their striker in a pocket of space 8 yards out at the near post. Demonstrating some clinical finishing the ball flashed past Harrison’s despairing dive to leave Tiffs 1-0 down.

Yet again it looked like the same old script but as with previous weeks T’s picked themselves up and got straight back in to the same passing style from the restart. With Colin becoming increasingly influential cutting in from the right and Owen finding joy driving down the left wing it seemed only a matter of time until the first goal would come. The only thing missing was the final incisive pass to spring someone free in the box. Tom M was in the thick of the action winning balls in midfield and getting into three great positions on the edge of the box only to see his shots narrowly miss over the top or have a desperate defender get a block on the ball. It seemed that all of the T’s pressure had finally got the result it deserved when Colin, cutting in off the wing, unleashed an absolute thunderbolt from 25 yards. I thought it was in, Joe Yates definitely started celebrating, and yet the margins in football can be cruel and T’s watched in disbelief as it cannoned off the post and safely away.

More strong football from T’s, including a barnstorming run from Khaj past 5 defenders, but still no breakthrough. And worse was to come. Almost completely against the run of play Old Meadonian’s had a rare foray up field and following some nice build up play, and a very unfortunately timed rugby whistle to sow confusion in the defence, a Meadonian’s player was again 10 yards out and again dispatched it right in the bottom corner.

Half time came and there was a sense of disbelief that, having played so well and almost completely dominated the half, T’s were 2-0 down. But following a positive pep talk from stand in skipper Joe (Dan Hogg unavailable for an unbelievable reason) T’s started the second half as they finished the first.

But as with the first half a lot of good build up play couldn’t spring the opportunity that would give the first goal. With the game progressing it became increasingly tetchy with the oppo right winger seemingly on a one man mission to fight anyone who came near him. First threatening to ‘break’ Khaj he then proceeded to hack Owen and have a bust up with Dan. T’s didn’t let this distract and kept plugging away for the goal that would get them back in the game but sadly couldn’t find a way through and for the second week running T’s finished the game having not deserved the result they got.

MotM was a split decision with both Khaj and Tom M being nominated for their dominance