OTFC IIIs v Old Pauline IVs (A)

7th March 2015

Old Pauline IV 5 - 2 OTFC IIIs

OTFC IIIs 2-5- Old Pauline IVs

The IIIs arrived at the ground in good spirits after getting back to winning ways the previous week. We decided as it was such a nice day that we would get changed in the car park … nothing to do with a ‘heavy’ door blocking our entrance to the changing rooms.

We started the game well. Arnau Gimenez with some strong running down the right and Nico Telfer looking dangerous down the left. It looked like a goal was not far away, unfortunately it was Pauline who got it. Their number 9, who was probably their most dangerous player, latched on to a ball played forward, he then managed to bundle through the challenges of both Lee Orchard and Jack Field and slot past Laurence Hinton in goal. 1-0.  Not too disheartening as we knew we could get back into it. Again though it was Pauline who scored. A corner from the left was cleared only to be sent straight back in across the face of goal where Orchard was unfortunate to see the ball bounce up off him into the net. Nothing he could do about it.

As recently though we showed great determination to get back into the game, Field passed to Ben Williams in the middle of the park and his well-disguised through ball found Lewis Baister who held off his man and drove a great shot across the keeper from the edge of the box. Back in the game. We were looking dangerous down the left, Ed Whitehouse comically tripped himself before Telfer stole the show with his tumble in the box … good running! Whitehouse recovered from his fall to control a goal kick and find Williams, who played a one two off his face and then with Bappo Reynaud, before playing in Aaron Langford who ran through on goal to cooly slot home. 2-2. The last few minutes were all us, and we were very unlucky not to be ahead right on half time as Telfer saw a good effort come off the crossbar.

It was a positive mood at half time and Tiffs went back out to complete the come back.

It was a decent start to the half, with Ciaran Morris coming on to the left and Jon Angell introduced upfront, with Gimenez still attacking well down the right. A couple of attacks broke down and then we struggled for a while to get out of our own half. The pressure told as we conceded a third and then fourth. I can’t remember either of the goals, so I’m going to put it down to bad luck and the strong breeze that was against us, and the sun [editor’s note, the opposition’s number 9 scored both to complete his hattrick]. We battled through more sustained pressure. Defending a few corners well. We slowly started to get the ball forward again. Langford was reintroduced and made a good run down the left only to be taken down by their defender. Any other ref and we may have seen some punishment for their man. We were making a fight of it though. Reynaud got behind their defence but was just beaten to the ball over the top by their keeper. A couple of efforts from Morris and an acrobatic attempt from Langford were not far away and Angell saw a good shot come back of the bar. That was to be about all we could manage as just before the final whistle Pauline broke through and with the last kick of the game made the scoreline slightly harsh on us.

If we had gone in at half time 3-2 up it could have been different. Unfortunately it wasn’t to be, but it was good to see we didn’t give up and kept battling in a tough second half. Congratulations to Reynaud for his MOTM display and well done to Allen Westoby on a good debut.

A poor showing on the social side, leaving most of the team with fines. Orchard may have gone if he had been told about it though … but I’m pretty sure his no shower fine will be rescinded.